Dr Goldstein emphasizes the importance of feeding all dogs a natural, raw meat based diet … and it’s especially true for cancer patients.
I completely agree with the post by DAVID B. It stars with "there is a fundamental metabolic error in this". I am not a vet, but that's OK because regular vets don't have nutritional background. I have done tons and tons of research, I have read several excellent books and I have consulted with a "holistic" vet, all prior to switching my goldendoodle to the raw dog food diet. It is essential that your dog is eating at least 90% of his diet as raw meat/organ. The rest, the 10%, can be from raw fruits and veggies (always pulped in a food processor), and you absolutely need to add a healthy oil. I use Flax oil for omega 3 & 6. I also add in a hard boiled egg several times per week, and I also give duck necks and turkey necks a couple times a week because that dog of yours NEEDS to chew raw meat and crunch bones! A must read is the following book...."Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" by Kymythe Schulze. Last but not least, you must look into what supplements are required as well (calcium, vitamins, chlorella, etc.). Even though kibble is like a swear word now (for me, maybe not for you), the dog food companies are required by law to ensure that kibble is supplemented with various minerals, vitamins, efa's, etc. before it hits the shelf. One last note, feeding too much raw vegetable and fruit is a carbohydrate, and will be converted to sugar/glucose and can lead to those nasty yeast infections and diabetes. Same for grains, get them right out of your dog's diet. Do you see the wolf hunting for wheat or rice? No? EDUCATE yourself, it's so worth the time, and hook up with a holistic vet for a consultation. Thanks to David B. for the post he submitted on July 6, 2013.
I have a new puppy and would like to feed him a natural diet rather than kibbles and canned food that smells like old cigarette buts. I've had dogs all my life. When I was a kid we fed them table scraps. I'm hoping to do better for my new pup. I have a 1-1/2 quart crock pot and one recipe for homemade dogfood. It has meat or fish, brown rice or sweet potatoes and veggies. I would appreciate any recipes you could provide. Claire
What's the Healthiest All-Natural Diet for Your Dog? - EcoWatch
15 Tips To Improve Your Dog's Diet Today - Dogs Naturally Magazine
Commercial pet foods, whether dry, canned, or soft-moist, are highly processed convenience foods, and that convenience usually carries a high price in terms of nutritional quality. Nearly all of them use inexpensive poor quality protein sources, such as diseased meat and organs condemned for human consumption. Most are laced with preservatives and food coloring. Canned foods have high levels of lead, dry foods have rancid fat, and soft-moist foods contain up to 25% sugar. Even the best commercial pet foods are highly processed and thoroughly cooked, so there are no fresh or raw foods in the diet. This also destroys many of the vitamins, which are added at low levels to begin with. Commercial pet foods bear little or no resemblance to the diets that dogs or cats would naturally choose for themselves in the wild.Irish Acres Pet Health, located in the Fox Cities, provides all natural raw diet food and all natural treats for dogs and cats. We carry a large selection of raw food from Natures Variety, Solid Gold, and BARF RawFood. You pick up at our location, or we deliver fresh raw food throughout Wisconsin including: Appleton, Green Bay, Fond du Lac, Beaver Dam, Milwaukee, and Oshkosh areas.